Competition published on September 5, 2014.
Gerald Seymour, master puppeteer, makes his characters dance for their lives across this devastatingly topical and authentic thriller set in the dust of Iran, the offices of Whitehall and the mountains of Austria.
The Corporal, driver for a Brigadier in the al-Qods Brigade, is snatched by the Secret Service. He is needed for his knowledge of Iranian military secrets – surely as a driver he must have overheard any number of private and informative conversations … driven to any number of secret installations? Stashed in an eerie in Europe’s mountains, offered the softly, softly approach to divulging all he knows, the Corporal digs his toes in. He will not talk. Unless his wife is brought out of Iran to join him.
The SAS turn down the job as too dangerous, but MI6 need their prize to talk. So a special team is put together: a young interpreter who can speak colloquial Farsi; a tough, tight, group of ex-fighting men to escort, guide and protect … words are dropped in ears, palms are greased, the ‘rescue’ is implemented.
But Farideh doesn’t want to come.
It is only when she realises that her life is in danger if she stays that she reluctantly agrees. Perhaps she sees a future, where there is none if she stays in Iran, perhaps it is a private thing between her and the young interpreter. Either way, the chase is on.
With the disgraced Brigadier fighting for his military survival and all of the al-Qods looking for them in the air, at road blocks, in the scrub and dust of Iran, the small team of fugitives dodge and scrape their way towards the border. All the while the Corporal is slowly – very slowly – offering up his knowledge…he believes his wife will be with him shortly. He has no idea she is running for her life.
To enter, simply fill in your details below…
The Competition is closed.
Competition Terms & Conditions
Please read these competition rules carefully. By entering a Nudge competition you are confirming that you have read these rules and that you agree to them.
- To enter a competition you must be: (a) resident in the UK or the Republic or Ireland; and (b) 18 years old or over at the time of entry.
- Competitions are not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of AMS Digital Publishing Limited.
- No purchase necessary.
- Only one entry per person.
- If you want to enter a competition you must enter via the website on the applicable competition page.
- The winner will be the entrant who answers the most questions correctly and whose tie-break answer is selected to be the best of the entries by the judges.
- The closing date for this competition is October 26, 2014, and Nudge reserves the right to amend the competition end date at any time.
- If you win a competition, we will notify you by e-mail. The judges’ decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- You can find out who has won a particular competition by sending a stamped addressed envelope, marked with the name of the competition to AMS Digital Publishing, 172, Winsley Road, Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15 1NY after the closing date.
- By entering the competition the winner agrees to participate in such promotional activity and material as Nudge may require.
- The panel of judges for each competition (if applicable) will be comprised of members of the Nudge editorial team.
- The prize will not be transferable to another person.
- No part of a prize is exchangeable for cash or any other prize.
- If an advertised prize is not available, we reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- Incorrectly completed entries will be disqualified.
- This competition is being run by AMS Digital Publishing Limited, whose registered office address is 172, Winsley Road, Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15 1NY.
- Nudge reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.
- Nudge will endeavour to send prizes within a month of the competition end date but cannot guarantee this delivery time.
Win copies of Night Heron, by Adam Brookes