Competition published on September 4, 2015.
Tom Harper is a former Chairman of the Crime Writers’ Association, a member of the Historical Novels Society, the Society of Authors, the International Thriller Writers and the Historical Writers’ Association. More to the point, and the reason he’s such a joiner, is because of his richly varied career as a writer who demonstrates his comfort in many genres from crime to thrillers to historical adventures set in the Napoleonic Wars and the Crusades. His novels have been translated into twenty foreign languages and the books just keep on coming.
His new novel, Black River, finds Kel MacDonald, a doctor, husband, father, and happily settled man in bad need of adventure. A chance encounter, the lure of a dazzling treasure find, the gentle smack of danger, a remote jungle, excitement, a sense of dread and of being wanted for his medical skill … it all added up to an irresistible lure for Kel.
There is a lost city, buried deep in the Amazonian jungle. It is more than a rumour, there are stories told by locals that have spread out of the rain forest and into the ears of treasure hunters. Others have tried and failed to find it. There’s a medical expedition that has been lost for months – no survivors expected. The challenge is out there; it’s been thrown down. Who will rise to it? And why should they survive when the past is littered with failure?
Kel MacDonald is mesmerised by the thought of finding it. He knows nothing about jungle survival; nothing of the skills needed to hunt; he doesn’t know navigation or what is poisonous and what is harmless in the wilderness. He is totally dependent on the others in the group. When things go wrong, he must learn how to survive very quickly. And things do begin to go horribly wrong. People start dying. Discoveries of a different type are made: medical malpractise; the testing of serums botched; and thickets of lies and confusions. To get out with his life, Kel must keep his tired, bruised and exhausted wits about him and not trust the wrong person.
Tom Harper may not enjoy the celebrity enjoyed by some of his peers but he tells ripping yarns with a brio and imaginative energy few can surpass.
Bert Wright, Editor – The Nudge List
Tom Harper pic (c) Jon Hawkins
Black River by Tom Harper is published in hardback by Hodder & Stoughton on 10th September.
We have 3 copies to give away!
For your chance to win, simply fill in the form below:
The Competition is closed.
Competition Terms & Conditions
Please read these competition rules carefully. By entering a Nudge competition you are confirming that you have read these rules and that you agree to them.
- To enter a competition you must be: (a) resident in the UK or the Republic or Ireland; and (b) 18 years old or over at the time of entry.
- Competitions are not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of AMS Digital Publishing Limited.
- No purchase necessary.
- Only one entry per person.
- If you want to enter a competition you must enter via the website on the applicable competition page.
- The winner will be the entrant who answers the most questions correctly and whose tie-break answer is selected to be the best of the entries by the judges.
- The closing date for this competition is September 30, 2015, and Nudge reserves the right to amend the competition end date at any time.
- If you win a competition, we will notify you by e-mail. The judges’ decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- You can find out who has won a particular competition by sending a stamped addressed envelope, marked with the name of the competition to AMS Digital Publishing, 172, Winsley Road, Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15 1NY after the closing date.
- By entering the competition the winner agrees to participate in such promotional activity and material as Nudge may require.
- The panel of judges for each competition (if applicable) will be comprised of members of the Nudge editorial team.
- The prize will not be transferable to another person.
- No part of a prize is exchangeable for cash or any other prize.
- If an advertised prize is not available, we reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- Incorrectly completed entries will be disqualified.
- This competition is being run by AMS Digital Publishing Limited, whose registered office address is 172, Winsley Road, Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15 1NY.
- Nudge reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.
- Nudge will endeavour to send prizes within a month of the competition end date but cannot guarantee this delivery time.
AMR: Julia Heaberlin and Mike Stafford in our AUTHOR MEETS REVIEWER series