Competition published on September 4, 2015.
If you could be a famous writer who would you want to be? JK Rowling? Dan Brown? James Patterson? Me neither, but I will tell you whose life I wouldn’t mind having and that’s the life of Reilly aka Anthony Horowitz, a man possessed of such an unerring Midas touch that the gold comes in search of him. Not only has he written four vastly successful YA adventure series including the iconic Alex Rider series, he also writes for film (The Gathering, Stormbreaker) and for television (Poirot, Midsomer Murders, Foyle’s War). And when the estates of literary lions like Arthur Conan Doyle and Ian Fleming are looking for a writer to entrust with ideas for new novels who’re they gonna call? In October 2014, the Ian Fleming estate announced that it had commissioned Horowitz to write the next James Bond novel, Trigger Mortis and voila, one year later, here it is.
The novel is based in part on an unpublished story written by the late Ian Fleming sixty years ago. Murder on Wheels was written in the 50s, as one of several episode treatments for a Bond TV series which was never made. Many of the plots were turned into short stories but a few outlines were never published and from these Horowitz chose Murder on Wheels which sees Bond on a mission at the Nürburgring Grand Prix racing circuit in Germany. Fleming and Bond were devoted petrol-heads and Trigger Mortis, with its familiar cast of Bond characters – M, Miss Moneypenny and Pussy Galore among them – is sure to delight fans.
“It’s no secret that Ian Fleming’s extraordinary character has had a profound influence on my life, so when the estate approached me to write a new James Bond novel how could I possibly refuse?” said Horowitz, when the book was first announced. “Having original, unpublished material by Fleming has been an inspiration. This is a book I had to write.” Publisher Orion has described Bond and Horowitz as “a match made in publishing heaven”. James Bond was never the marrying kind but Horowitz, it seems, is married to his muse who in turn has inspired him to write more than sixty books in the space of three decades, an astonishing rate of productivity (roughly two books a year.) How one earth does he do it? “For as long as I can remember I’ve been working at this pace, about 10 hours a day, often seven days a week,” says Horowitz. Now you see how it’s done – talent, bum-glue and tireless application.
Bert Wright, Editor – The Nudge List
Trigger Mortis by Anthony Horowitz is published in hardback by Orion on 8th September.
We have 3 copies of the book to give away!
For your chance to win, simply fill in the form below:
The Competition is closed.
Competition Terms & Conditions
Please read these competition rules carefully. By entering a Nudge competition you are confirming that you have read these rules and that you agree to them.
- To enter a competition you must be: (a) resident in the UK or the Republic or Ireland; and (b) 18 years old or over at the time of entry.
- Competitions are not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of AMS Digital Publishing Limited.
- No purchase necessary.
- Only one entry per person.
- If you want to enter a competition you must enter via the website on the applicable competition page.
- The winner will be the entrant who answers the most questions correctly and whose tie-break answer is selected to be the best of the entries by the judges.
- The closing date for this competition is September 30, 2015, and Nudge reserves the right to amend the competition end date at any time.
- If you win a competition, we will notify you by e-mail. The judges’ decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- You can find out who has won a particular competition by sending a stamped addressed envelope, marked with the name of the competition to AMS Digital Publishing, 172, Winsley Road, Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15 1NY after the closing date.
- By entering the competition the winner agrees to participate in such promotional activity and material as Nudge may require.
- The panel of judges for each competition (if applicable) will be comprised of members of the Nudge editorial team.
- The prize will not be transferable to another person.
- No part of a prize is exchangeable for cash or any other prize.
- If an advertised prize is not available, we reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- Incorrectly completed entries will be disqualified.
- This competition is being run by AMS Digital Publishing Limited, whose registered office address is 172, Winsley Road, Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15 1NY.
- Nudge reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.
- Nudge will endeavour to send prizes within a month of the competition end date but cannot guarantee this delivery time.