Competition published on October 2, 2015.
Based on the 2005 novel by Nigerian-American author Uzodinma Iweala, Beasts of No Nation, the new Netflix Original film featuring Idris Elba, and directed by Cary Fukunaga, presents an extraordinary portrait of the chaos and violence of war; not the sort of war movie we’re used to either, for this film confronts the audience with the disorienting spectacle of children who are at once victims and perpetrators of terrible war crimes.
It tells the story of nine year old Agu who is wrenched from an idyllic childhood and forced to confront the horror of war when his village becomes swept up in an unnamed West African civil conflict. His mother and sister are rescued by the UN, but he and his father are left behind. After Agu sees his father killed, and his village destroyed, he is recruited by a fierce warlord and becomes a child soldier, fighting in a war he doesn’t understand.
The glowing Guardian review called it “a tale of fear, degradation and abusive dysfunction – a violent and disorientating nightmare with a shiver of Coppola’s Apocalypse Now.” It’s a tough watch utterly unsparing in its portrayal of Agu’s degradation and it makes the Francis Ford Coppola epic seem like an episode of Eastenders by comparison. You have been warned!
John Murray have issued a movie tie-in edition of Iweala’s novel which garnered a host of prizes and shortlist nominations upon publication. In 2007, Iweala was named as one of Granta magazine‘s 20 best young American novelists but since his debut a second novel remains an eagerly-awaited prospect.
Watch a trailer (c) Focus Features / Netflix
Bert Wright, Editor – The Nudge List
WE HAVE 3 COPIES OF THE BOOK TO GIVE AWAY!
For your chance to win, simply fill in the form below:
The Competition is closed.
Competition Terms & Conditions
Please read these competition rules carefully. By entering a Nudge competition you are confirming that you have read these rules and that you agree to them.
- To enter a competition you must be: (a) resident in the UK or the Republic or Ireland; and (b) 18 years old or over at the time of entry.
- Competitions are not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of AMS Digital Publishing Limited.
- No purchase necessary.
- Only one entry per person.
- If you want to enter a competition you must enter via the website on the applicable competition page.
- The winner will be the entrant who answers the most questions correctly and whose tie-break answer is selected to be the best of the entries by the judges.
- The closing date for this competition is October 31, 2015, and Nudge reserves the right to amend the competition end date at any time.
- If you win a competition, we will notify you by e-mail. The judges’ decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- You can find out who has won a particular competition by sending a stamped addressed envelope, marked with the name of the competition to AMS Digital Publishing, Studio 20, Glove Factory Studios, Brook Lane, Holt, Wilts, BA14 6RL, UK after the closing date.
- By entering the competition the winner agrees to participate in such promotional activity and material as Nudge may require.
- The panel of judges for each competition (if applicable) will be comprised of members of the Nudge editorial team.
- The prize will not be transferable to another person.
- No part of a prize is exchangeable for cash or any other prize.
- If an advertised prize is not available, we reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- Incorrectly completed entries will be disqualified.
- This competition is being run by AMS Digital Publishing Limited, whose registered office address is Studio 20, Glove Factory Studios, Brook Lane, Holt, Wilts, BA14 6RL, UK.
- Nudge reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.
- Nudge will endeavour to send prizes within a month of the competition end date but cannot guarantee this delivery time.
OUT NOW: nb Magazine / Autumn 2015