Competition published on March 10, 2017.
She’ll need a triple-barrelled name for the castle one. She’ll need a gallon of glitter for the woodland one. She’ll need a lobster-shaped hat for the Shoreditch one.
Laura Lake longs to be a journalist. Instead she’s an unpaid intern at a glossy magazine – sleeping in the fashion cupboard and living on canapés. But she’s just got her first big break: infiltrate three society weddings and write a juicy exposé.
Security will be tighter than a bodycon dress, but how hard can it be to get the skinny? She’ll disguise herself as a ballgowned billionheiress for the castle-partying aristocrats and a boho-chic pixie child for the posh festival nuptials. Oh, and a moustachioed lobster for the Shoreditch hipsters.
But nothing can prepare her for disappearing brides, raunchy royals and a brush with the next James Bond. Or the fact that her jealous office enemy will do anything to bring her down. Will Laura get the scoop of the year? Or will she be out on her ear?
Wendy Holden, the Sunday Times No.1 bestseller, is back with a sparkling new series of social satires, beginning with Laura Lake and the Hipster Weddings.
Win free signed copies of Laura Lake And The Hipster Weddings by sharing your own hilarious wedding stories with me! I can’t wait to read them! They might even inspire another novel! Please go to https://goo.gl/forms/xYaoaGCgxPpNR23g1 Thank you. Love Wendy xx
It’s the nudge-book turn on the blog tour! We’re featuring a review, below:
For anyone looking for a book to lighten the load amidst all the doom and gloom, you need look no further than Wendy Holden’s wonderfully whimsical Laura Lake and the Hipster Weddings. From the book’s first scene, in which we find the eponymous heroine working as a still life model in a ridiculously ludicrous art installation, we are transported into a gloriously parodic world that brilliantly inflates the foibles and vagaries of the middle-class, hipster generation and lampoons it in a perfect burlesque. Holden’s depiction of this world and its characters is firmly tongue in cheek and requires readers to jump on board, which is no problem when the author makes everything such playful fun, even down to the names of many of the characters, which includes the celebrity coupling of Orlando Chease and Hudson Grater – CheaseGrater. Whilst the weddings themselves are brilliantly staged affairs that include, naturally, nuptials in a former public toilet, a mystical woodland affair overseen by the aptly named Fluid Druid, and a union at a castle attended by the Turkey Toffs. Some of the scenes are pure entertainment and, I’m not ashamed to say, had me chuckling along on a number of occasions. The plot inevitably is far-fetched and flighty, and anyone who wants a robust affair will not find it here, nor is it warranted for this novel, in which the whimsical plot is the perfect vehicle for the flippancies of this fictional world. Too often light-hearted fiction is equated with inferior fiction when it shouldn’t be and Holden’s novel is a great example of well-written humorous fiction. Humour is by its very nature subjective and for some readers the novel will simply be too droll, but for others it will be exactly the sort of book that they will welcome right now: boisterous, witty and not taking itself too seriously. It fills a very palpable void in fiction at the moment, offering something to smile about and a world to escape to that is, for once, more joyous than our own. Though I suspect the literary gatekeepers will be quick to frown upon its frivolous figures and sportive storylines, for me this was the perfect antidote to the times, a much-needed dose of light relief. I’ll be looking out for the sequel next year to once again lift my spirits.
Jade Craddock, 4
Check out the rest of the tour and find out more about Wendy’s new novel.
We also have a copy of Laura Lake and the Hipster Weddings to give away – for your chance to win simply fill in the form below:
The Competition is closed.
About the author
Number one bestselling author Wendy Holden was a journalist on Tatler, the Sunday Times, and The Mail on Sunday before becoming an author. She has since written ten consecutive Sunday Times top-ten bestsellers. She lives in Derbyshire.
Laura Lake and the Hipster Weddings by Wendy Holden, published on 9 March, 2017, in hardback
Competition Terms & Conditions
Please read these competition rules carefully. By entering a Nudge competition you are confirming that you have read these rules and that you agree to them.
- To enter a competition you must be: (a) resident in the UK or the Republic or Ireland; and (b) 18 years old or over at the time of entry.
- Competitions are not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of AMS Digital Publishing Limited.
- No purchase necessary.
- Only one entry per person.
- If you want to enter a competition you must enter via the website on the applicable competition page.
- The winner will be the entrant who answers the most questions correctly and whose tie-break answer is selected to be the best of the entries by the judges.
- The closing date for this competition is April 7, 2017, and Nudge reserves the right to amend the competition end date at any time.
- If you win a competition, we will notify you by e-mail. The judges’ decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- You can find out who has won a particular competition by sending a stamped addressed envelope, marked with the name of the competition to AMS Digital Publishing, 172, Winsley Road, Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15 1NY after the closing date.
- By entering the competition the winner agrees to participate in such promotional activity and material as Nudge may require.
- The panel of judges for each competition (if applicable) will be comprised of members of the Nudge editorial team.
- The prize will not be transferable to another person.
- No part of a prize is exchangeable for cash or any other prize.
- If an advertised prize is not available, we reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- Incorrectly completed entries will be disqualified.
- This competition is being run by AMS Digital Publishing Limited, whose registered office address is 172, Winsley Road, Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15 1NY.
- Nudge reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.
- Nudge will endeavour to send prizes within a month of the competition end date but cannot guarantee this delivery time.
You may also like
Mrs Robinson's Disgrace brings vividly to life a complex, frustrated Victorian wife, longing for passion and learning, c...