Competition published on April 7, 2017.
It is AD 9. In Northern Europe an army is dying, and an empire is being brought to its knees.
Twelve Roman legionnaires have been senselessly massacred. A bloodied individual is found among the dead. He has no idea who he is, or where he’s been. Only that he is a soldier.
Forced to join Governor Varus’s army – fifteen thousand seasoned legionnaires – he heads north to help subdue hostile Germanic tribes. The army marches deep into enemy territory, a densely forested land of deadly traps and foes.
As battle begins, Varus’s army is swiftly destroyed. Trapped in the forest, the soldier must band together with a small group of survivors who neither trust nor believe in him. If they fight together they have a slim chance of staying alive. But which side is the soldier on? And is it the right one?
We have a copy of Blood Forest by Geraint Jones to give away – for your chance to win, simply fill in the form below:
The Competition is closed.
In AD 9, three crack legions of Rome’s army were caught in an ambush and annihilated. It was a defeat so catastrophic that it threatened the survival of Rome itself and halted the empire’s conquest of Germany. Blood Forest captures the complexity and life altering realities of combat service. Like Band of Brothers and The Yellow Birds, this is a study of combat, guilt, and friendship forged under fire which could only have been written by a soldier.
About the author
Geraint Jones has been deployed on three tours of duty to Iraq and Afghanistan. For his actions in Iraq, he earned the General Officer Commanding’s Award for Gallantry. Following Afghanistan, he was selected for the Reconnaissance Platoon, the elite unit within the battalion. Upon leaving the military, Geraint worked to protect commercial shipping against Somali and Nigerian based piracy. Blood Forest is his first novel. Geraint lives in Wrexham, close to where he grew up.
Follow Geraint on Twitter @grjbooks
Blood Forest by Geraint Jones, published by Michael Joseph on 6 April, 2017, in hardback
Competition Terms & Conditions
Please read these competition rules carefully. By entering a Nudge competition you are confirming that you have read these rules and that you agree to them.
- To enter a competition you must be: (a) resident in the UK or the Republic or Ireland; and (b) 18 years old or over at the time of entry.
- Competitions are not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of AMS Digital Publishing Limited.
- No purchase necessary.
- Only one entry per person.
- If you want to enter a competition you must enter via the website on the applicable competition page.
- The winner will be the entrant who answers the most questions correctly and whose tie-break answer is selected to be the best of the entries by the judges.
- The closing date for this competition is May 5, 2017, and Nudge reserves the right to amend the competition end date at any time.
- If you win a competition, we will notify you by e-mail. The judges’ decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- You can find out who has won a particular competition by sending a stamped addressed envelope, marked with the name of the competition to AMS Digital Publishing, Studio 20, Glove Factory Studios, Brook Lane, Holt, Wilts, BA14 6RL, UK after the closing date.
- By entering the competition the winner agrees to participate in such promotional activity and material as Nudge may require.
- The panel of judges for each competition (if applicable) will be comprised of members of the Nudge editorial team.
- The prize will not be transferable to another person.
- No part of a prize is exchangeable for cash or any other prize.
- If an advertised prize is not available, we reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- Incorrectly completed entries will be disqualified.
- This competition is being run by AMS Digital Publishing Limited, whose registered office address is Studio 20, Glove Factory Studios, Brook Lane, Holt, Wilts, BA14 6RL, UK.
- Nudge reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.
- Nudge will endeavour to send prizes within a month of the competition end date but cannot guarantee this delivery time.