Competition published on May 5, 2017.
TWO MEN. ONE MISSION. TO KILL THE MAN WITH THE IRON HEART.
In 1942 two men, trained by the British SOE, parachuted back into their native Czechoslovakia with one sole objective: to kill the man ruling their homeland. Jan Kubis and Josef Gabcik risked everything for their country. Their attempt on Reinhard Heydrich’s life was one of the single most dramatic events of the Second World War, and had horrific consequences for thousands of innocent people.
2017 marks the 75th anniversary of the attack on Heydrich, a man so evil even fellow SS officers referred to him as the ‘Blond Beast’. In Prague, he was known as the Hangman. Hitler, who dubbed him ‘The Man with the Iron Heart’, considered Heydrich his heir, and entrusted him with the implementation of the ‘Final Solution’ to the Jewish ‘problem’: the systematic murder of eleven million people.
Based on true events, this gripping historical thriller is the culmination of Howard Linskey’s fifteen-year fascination with the attempted assassination of Reinhard Heydrich, the architect of the Holocaust. In the tradition of The Day of the Jackal and The Eagle Has Landed, Hunting the Hangman is a heart-pounding tale of courage, resilience and betrayal. The story reads like a classic WWII thriller and, as well as having been adapted for 2016’s Operation Anthropoid with Cillian Murphy and Jamie Dornan, is the subject of a highly anticipated, big-budget Hollywood film due for release this year: The Man with the Iron Heart starring Rosamund Pike and Jack O’Connell.
*We have copies of Hunting the Hangman by Howard Linskey to give away – scroll down for your chance to win!*
There’s no-one we trust more than our Real Readers to let us know which books we should be sharing with you all – their reactions to Hunting the Hangman blew us away…
‘For me, this book is a resounding success. It tells an important story and gives you all the facts of what happened, while also delivering an emotional impact that a non-fiction book may not be able to.’
‘This is one of the most courageous and conspicuous events of the second world war, ideal fodder for a novelist but also a daunting task to do it justice. Linskey manages to do this.’
‘I would not normally read more about WWII, but this is still one of those episodes that can simultaneously enlighten and destroy your belief in humanity. An excellent personal read.’
‘The book is written in a date ordered diary style and goes from Great Britain to Czechoslovakia comfortably without you losing your thread…Thoroughly a really good book to read from start to finish.’
‘I like the quotations from various contemporaries of the time, at the beginning of each chapter, mainly from the German side, but also some from the British too.’
‘This is well researched and written thriller which brings a little-known story to a wider audience.’
‘This is a terrific read – instantly readable which grabs and keeps you engaged from first to last page, intelligent [and] well written with excellent characterisations throughout, and a real sense of what life would be like in war torn Prague.’
‘I never cease to be amazed by some of the bravery displayed by people and the story is a thrilling tale of courage, resilience and betrayal.’
Read all their reviews in full by downloading the PDF here.
We have 3 copies of the book to give away – for your chance to win simply fill in the form below:
The Competition is closed.
About the author
Howard Linskey is the author of three novels in the David Blake crime series published by No Exit Press, The Drop, The Damage and The Dead. The Times newspaper voted The Drop one of its Top Five Thrillers of the Year and The Damage one of its Top Summer Reads. He is also the author of No Name Lane, Behind Dead Eyes and The Search, published by Penguin.
Hunting the Hangman by Howard Linskey, published on 25 May, 2017 by No Exit Press, in paperback
Competition Terms & Conditions
Please read these competition rules carefully. By entering a Nudge competition you are confirming that you have read these rules and that you agree to them.
- To enter a competition you must be: (a) resident in the UK or the Republic or Ireland; and (b) 18 years old or over at the time of entry.
- Competitions are not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of AMS Digital Publishing Limited.
- No purchase necessary.
- Only one entry per person.
- If you want to enter a competition you must enter via the website on the applicable competition page.
- The winner will be the entrant who answers the most questions correctly and whose tie-break answer is selected to be the best of the entries by the judges.
- The closing date for this competition is June 2, 2017, and Nudge reserves the right to amend the competition end date at any time.
- If you win a competition, we will notify you by e-mail. The judges’ decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- You can find out who has won a particular competition by sending a stamped addressed envelope, marked with the name of the competition to AMS Digital Publishing, 172, Winsley Road, Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15 1NY after the closing date.
- By entering the competition the winner agrees to participate in such promotional activity and material as Nudge may require.
- The panel of judges for each competition (if applicable) will be comprised of members of the Nudge editorial team.
- The prize will not be transferable to another person.
- No part of a prize is exchangeable for cash or any other prize.
- If an advertised prize is not available, we reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- Incorrectly completed entries will be disqualified.
- This competition is being run by AMS Digital Publishing Limited, whose registered office address is 172, Winsley Road, Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15 1NY.
- Nudge reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.
- Nudge will endeavour to send prizes within a month of the competition end date but cannot guarantee this delivery time.
Real Readers: Hunting the Hangman by Howard Linskey
An Unlikely Agent by Jane Menczer – a nudge Recommended Read
You may also like
Journalist Alex is an alcoholic who is writing the story she believes will save her. ......