Competition published on September 1, 2017.
An extraordinary memoir of love, loss and literature from one of Britain’s best biographers…
Acclaimed biographer Claire Tomalin, the bestselling author of The Invisible Woman and Jane Austen, turns her critical eye to another fascinating literary life: her own.
In this intimate and insightful memoir, Claire remembers moments of national literary history as well as intense personal emotion: a turbulent childhood disturbed by her parents’ custody battle; her escape to Cambridge University, where she met her husband, the journalist Nick Tomalin; life on Gloucester Crescent with neighbours Alan Bennett and Mary-Kay Wilmers. Personally, tragedy struck when her husband was killed while reporting in Israel; professionally, Claire’s career soared as she became Literary Editor at the New Statesman and the Sunday Times, working with Christopher Hitchens and Julian Barnes, before discovering her vocation as a biographer. An affair with a younger writer brought fleeting joy; the suicide of her daughter brought infinite pain. Now married to playwright Michael Frayn, Claire reflects on an extraordinary life filled with love, loss and literature.
We have a copy of A Life Of My Own to give away – for your chance to win simply fill in the form below:
About the author
Claire Tomalin is a former Literary Editor at the New Statesman and the Sunday Times. She has written seven highly acclaimed literary biographies, including Samuel Pepys, which won the Whitbread Book of the Year Award, and in 2011 the international bestseller Charles Dickens. She is married to the playwright and novelist Michael Frayn.
Claire will be appearing at a number of events this autumn, including:
At Topping & Company Booksellers (at St. Peters Church) on Monday 4th September at 7.30pm – book tickets
At Borderlines, Carlisle Book Festival on Saturday 7th October at 3pm – book tickets
At Daunt Books, in conversation with Valerie Grove, on Tuesday 24th October at 7pm – book tickets
A Life of My Own by Claire Tomalin, published on 7 September, 2017 by Viking, in hardback
Competition Terms & Conditions
Please read these competition rules carefully. By entering a Nudge competition you are confirming that you have read these rules and that you agree to them.
- To enter a competition you must be: (a) resident in the UK or the Republic or Ireland; and (b) 18 years old or over at the time of entry.
- Competitions are not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of AMS Digital Publishing Limited.
- No purchase necessary.
- Only one entry per person.
- If you want to enter a competition you must enter via the website on the applicable competition page.
- The winner will be the entrant who answers the most questions correctly and whose tie-break answer is selected to be the best of the entries by the judges.
- The closing date for this competition is September 29, 2017, and Nudge reserves the right to amend the competition end date at any time.
- If you win a competition, we will notify you by e-mail. The judges’ decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- You can find out who has won a particular competition by sending a stamped addressed envelope, marked with the name of the competition to AMS Digital Publishing, 172, Winsley Road, Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15 1NY after the closing date.
- By entering the competition the winner agrees to participate in such promotional activity and material as Nudge may require.
- The panel of judges for each competition (if applicable) will be comprised of members of the Nudge editorial team.
- The prize will not be transferable to another person.
- No part of a prize is exchangeable for cash or any other prize.
- If an advertised prize is not available, we reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- Incorrectly completed entries will be disqualified.
- This competition is being run by AMS Digital Publishing Limited, whose registered office address is 172, Winsley Road, Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15 1NY.
- Nudge reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.
- Nudge will endeavour to send prizes within a month of the competition end date but cannot guarantee this delivery time.
Spain to Norway on a Bike Called Reggie by Andrew P. Sykes
SECOND OPINION: The Life and Death of Sherlock Holmes by Mattias Boström
You may also like
In the fallout from Brexit, the only land border between the UK and Europe will ...
A Quiet Word: Lobbying, Crony Capitalism and Broken Politics in Britain by Tamasin Cave & Andy RowellReview on BookLife
If you were standing alone in a school playground, a couple of unknown schoolboys were ......