Competition published on September 1, 2017.
A memoir of what it means to be a man in modern America.
At just forty-seven years old, William Giraldi’s father was killed in a horrific motorcycle accident. Writing here with searing honesty about grief, obsession, shame and identity, he looks back on three generations of men from the blue-collar town of Manville, New Jersey, and tells their stories in tandem: the speed-crazed cult of his father’s ‘superbikes’, each Sunday spent racing fate along the winding back roads of Pennsylvania; the trauma of a son’s ultimate loss, and William’s attempts to rebuild a self in the manliest costume he knew. For a teen consumed by hardcore bodybuilding, pumping iron was so much more than a sport—it was a hallowed lifeline for a bookish tenth-grader, a way to forge himself a spot amongst his family’s imperious patriarchs.
A work of lasting literary beauty, lauded by the New Yorker for its ‘unrelenting, perfectly paced prose’, The Hero’s Body is a tale of the working-class male, the codes of machismo and the unspoken bond between father and son.
We have 3 copies of The Hero’s Body to give away – simply fill in the form below for your chance to win:
About the author
William Giraldi grew up in Manville, New Jersey, and attended Drew University and Boston University. He is the author of critically acclaimed novels Busy Monsters and Hold the Dark, now in production with Netflix starring Alexander Skarsgård. He is fiction editor for the journal AGNI at Boston University, and a contributing editor at The New Republic. He’s been granted fellowships from the New Jersey State Council on the Arts and the Massachusetts Cultural Council. His fiction and nonfiction have appeared in The Oxford American, The New York Times, The Sun, Ploughshares, The Wall Street Journal, The New Criterion, and online at The Daily Beast and Salon. He lives in Boston with his wife and sons.
Find out more and order from No Exit Press
The Hero’s Body by William Giraldi, published on 24 August, 2017 by No Exit Press, in paperback
Competition Terms & Conditions
Please read these competition rules carefully. By entering a Nudge competition you are confirming that you have read these rules and that you agree to them.
- To enter a competition you must be: (a) resident in the UK or the Republic or Ireland; and (b) 18 years old or over at the time of entry.
- Competitions are not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of AMS Digital Publishing Limited.
- No purchase necessary.
- Only one entry per person.
- If you want to enter a competition you must enter via the website on the applicable competition page.
- The winner will be the entrant who answers the most questions correctly and whose tie-break answer is selected to be the best of the entries by the judges.
- The closing date for this competition is September 29, 2017, and Nudge reserves the right to amend the competition end date at any time.
- If you win a competition, we will notify you by e-mail. The judges’ decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- You can find out who has won a particular competition by sending a stamped addressed envelope, marked with the name of the competition to AMS Digital Publishing, 172, Winsley Road, Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15 1NY after the closing date.
- By entering the competition the winner agrees to participate in such promotional activity and material as Nudge may require.
- The panel of judges for each competition (if applicable) will be comprised of members of the Nudge editorial team.
- The prize will not be transferable to another person.
- No part of a prize is exchangeable for cash or any other prize.
- If an advertised prize is not available, we reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- Incorrectly completed entries will be disqualified.
- This competition is being run by AMS Digital Publishing Limited, whose registered office address is 172, Winsley Road, Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15 1NY.
- Nudge reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.
- Nudge will endeavour to send prizes within a month of the competition end date but cannot guarantee this delivery time.
Long Road From Jarrow by Stuart Maconie
Ten Things About John le Carré by Paul Burke
You may also like
In 1920 an Arab revolt came perilously close to inflicting a shattering defeat upon the ......
Even though a number of people do die in accidents each year, the number is ...