4 issue subscription starting with nb93 (not shown), due at the end of July.
newbooks was first published in 2000 with its genuinely unique selling proposition – the offer of free copies of each of our Recommended Reads every issue*.
Having worked in publishing for over 20 years, publisher Guy Pringle recognised at the outset the growing influence of reading groups and the power of word-of-mouth recommendation in breaking new writing talent into the marketplace.
“By creating a ‘shop window’ for reading groups to gaze longingly into, and getting books into the hands of people who talk about them and recommend them to their friends, I knew that our proposition was a winner. Book publishers could see the value of a sampling exercise and it is acknowledged that books like Captain Corelli’s Mandolin achieved major success thanks to the word of mouth that reading groups represent. ”
newbooks magazine has played a major role in the success of books such as
• Salley Vickers’ Miss Garnet’s Angel
• Jodi Piccoult’s My Sister’s Keeper
• Alexander McCall Smith’s The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency
• Alice Sebold’s The Lovely Bones and
• Audrey Niffenegger’s The Time Traveler’s Wife
All of these were heavily featured on first publication.
More recently we have passionately supported the following debuts which have gone on to stellar success:
• The Hundred Year Old Man by Jonas Jonasson
• The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
• The Spinning Heart by Donal Ryan
The magazine is now published quarterly as nb and in partnership with www.nudge-book.com, providing continual access to all the latest releases in fiction and non-fiction.
* The books are genuinely free and you can have all, some, or none from each issue – the choice is entirely yours. All we ask is you cover our p&p costs.