Competition published on June 19, 2015.
What if Virginia Woolf came back to life in the twenty-first century?
Best-selling author Angela Lamb is going through a mid-life crisis. She dumps her irrepressible daughter Gerda at boarding school and flies to New York to pursue her passion for Woolf, whose manuscripts are held in a private collection. When a bedraggled Virginia Woolf materialises among the bookshelves and is promptly evicted, Angela, stunned, rushes after her on to the streets of Manhattan.
Soon Angela is chaperoning her troublesome heroine as the latter tries to grasp the internet and scams bookshops with ‘rare signed editions’. Then Virginia insists on flying with her to Istanbul, finds a Turkish admirer and steals the show at an International Conference on – Virginia Woolf.
A witty and profound novel about the miraculous possibilities of a second chance at life.
This sparkling fictional love letter to Virginia Woolf was nominated for the 2015 Folio Prize.
Read what nudge reviewer Kirsty Hewitt had to say about it here
About the author
Maggie Gee is the author of twelve acclaimed novels, including The White Family (shortlisted for the Orange and IMPAC prizes) and My Cleaner, and a memoir, My Animal Life. She is a Fellow and Vice-President of the Royal Society of Literature, and Professor of Creative Writing at Bath Spa University. Her work has been translated into fourteen languages and she was awarded an OBE in 2012 for her services to literature.
Virginia Woolf in Manhattan by Maggie Gee, published by Telegram Books on 1st June, 2015 at £7.99
We have 3 copies of the new paperback edition of this critically acclaimed novel by one of Britain’s best loved authors.
For your chance to win, simply enter your details in the form below:
The Competition is closed.
Competition Terms & Conditions
Please read these competition rules carefully. By entering a Nudge competition you are confirming that you have read these rules and that you agree to them.
- To enter a competition you must be: (a) resident in the UK or the Republic or Ireland; and (b) 18 years old or over at the time of entry.
- Competitions are not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of AMS Digital Publishing Limited.
- No purchase necessary.
- Only one entry per person.
- If you want to enter a competition you must enter via the website on the applicable competition page.
- The winner will be the entrant who answers the most questions correctly and whose tie-break answer is selected to be the best of the entries by the judges.
- The closing date for this competition is July 16, 2015, and Nudge reserves the right to amend the competition end date at any time.
- If you win a competition, we will notify you by e-mail. The judges’ decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- You can find out who has won a particular competition by sending a stamped addressed envelope, marked with the name of the competition to AMS Digital Publishing, Studio 20, Glove Factory Studios, Brook Lane, Holt, Wilts, BA14 6RL, UK after the closing date.
- By entering the competition the winner agrees to participate in such promotional activity and material as Nudge may require.
- The panel of judges for each competition (if applicable) will be comprised of members of the Nudge editorial team.
- The prize will not be transferable to another person.
- No part of a prize is exchangeable for cash or any other prize.
- If an advertised prize is not available, we reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- Incorrectly completed entries will be disqualified.
- This competition is being run by AMS Digital Publishing Limited, whose registered office address is Studio 20, Glove Factory Studios, Brook Lane, Holt, Wilts, BA14 6RL, UK.
- Nudge reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.
- Nudge will endeavour to send prizes within a month of the competition end date but cannot guarantee this delivery time.
IMPAC Winner: Harvest by Jim Crace – what a coincidence!