Competition published on February 12, 2016.
Pushkin Press is delighted to announce the third exciting chapter in the best selling Fortunes of France series by ‘France’s greatest popular writer’ Robert Merle, translated by T. Jefferson Kline.
1572: Pierre de Siorac, returning from his adventures in the city of Montpellier of City of Wisdom and Blood, is ambushed by a jealous Périgord nobleman and kills his attacker. Now he must make his way to Paris to gain a pardon from the king himself or risk death at every corner. The capital city and the royal court are a disorienting new environment for Pierre – its elaborate social graces mask a simmering religious tension that will soon explode to engulf the entire city in one of history’s most infamous bouts of butchery…
In the heart of Paris, Pierre faces the greatest challenge of his young existence – to make his way through this deceptively dangerous milieu, to win a royal pardon, and finally to escape from Paris with his life, and the lives of his beloved companions, intact. Heretic Dawn sees devious courtly intrigues build to a horrific and bloody climax in the most powerful instalment yet.
We have 3 copies to give away – scroll down for your chance to win!
“Modern-day Dumas finally crosses the channel” Observer
“Swashbuckling historical fiction… For all its philosophical depth [The Brethren] is a hugely entertaining romp” Guardian
“A vivid novel by France’s modern Dumas” Sunday Times
About the author
Robert Merle was born in French Algeria, before moving to mainland France in 1918. After the outbreak of war in 1939 he served as an interpreter with the British Expeditionary Force, and was captured by the German army at Dunkirk, the experience of which served as the basis for his post-war debut Weekend at Zuydcoote. Initially French publishers were wary of this book, put off by its foul language and sexual content, but at the urging of authors including Jean-Paul Sartre and Raymond Queneau, it was snapped up by Gaston Gallimard and went on to win the Prix Goncourt. His much-loved Fortunes of France series was published over four decades, from 1977 to 2003, the final volume appearing just a year before his death of a heart attack in 2004. He was described by Le Monde as ‘France’s greatest popular novelist’.
We have 3 copies of Heretic Dawn to give away – simply fill in the form below for your chance to win:
The Competition is closed.
Heretic Dawn by Robert Merle, published by Pushkin Press on 4 February, 2016 in paperback at £9.99
Competition Terms & Conditions
Please read these competition rules carefully. By entering a Nudge competition you are confirming that you have read these rules and that you agree to them.
- To enter a competition you must be: (a) resident in the UK or the Republic or Ireland; and (b) 18 years old or over at the time of entry.
- Competitions are not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of AMS Digital Publishing Limited.
- No purchase necessary.
- Only one entry per person.
- If you want to enter a competition you must enter via the website on the applicable competition page.
- The winner will be the entrant who answers the most questions correctly and whose tie-break answer is selected to be the best of the entries by the judges.
- The closing date for this competition is March 11, 2016, and Nudge reserves the right to amend the competition end date at any time.
- If you win a competition, we will notify you by e-mail. The judges’ decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- You can find out who has won a particular competition by sending a stamped addressed envelope, marked with the name of the competition to AMS Digital Publishing, Studio 20, Glove Factory Studios, Brook Lane, Holt, Wilts, BA14 6RL, UK after the closing date.
- By entering the competition the winner agrees to participate in such promotional activity and material as Nudge may require.
- The panel of judges for each competition (if applicable) will be comprised of members of the Nudge editorial team.
- The prize will not be transferable to another person.
- No part of a prize is exchangeable for cash or any other prize.
- If an advertised prize is not available, we reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- Incorrectly completed entries will be disqualified.
- This competition is being run by AMS Digital Publishing Limited, whose registered office address is Studio 20, Glove Factory Studios, Brook Lane, Holt, Wilts, BA14 6RL, UK.
- Nudge reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.
- Nudge will endeavour to send prizes within a month of the competition end date but cannot guarantee this delivery time.
November Night Tales by Henry C Mercer
NEW ISSUE ALERT: a quick fix on what you’ll find in nb88 (now available)
You may also like
- 10 FebBookChap
Stewart Lee's new book is based on just one stand-up show, in which Stewart Lee examines the mechanics of comedy and the...
- 22 JulBookChap
... a photo of a brilliantly simple mosaic of a guard dog from a house in Pompeii. Within a few feet of it a small cast...