Competition published on February 26, 2016.
There are few writers better-equipped to tell this difficult story than Gillian Slovo. A lifetime political activist, she is the author of thirteen books, including five crime novels, the courtroom drama Red Dust, which was made into a feature film starring Hilary Swank and Chiwetel Ejiofor, and the Orange Prize-shortlisted Ice Road. She co-authored the play Guantanamo – Honor Bound to Defend Freedom, which was staged internationally. Her track record for delivering powerful writing allied to strong political commitment is second to none and this new novel is one to savour.
Researching for her play, The Riots, Slovo interviewed many of those involved in the London riots – from rioters to residents, police and politicians – giving her a unique insider’s view into how a riot can build and its consequences. Based on this research, Ten Days reaffirms Slovo’s reputation as a major writer of thrilling contemporary commercial fiction. Rarely is deep sociological insight delivered with such narrative urgency and as Val McDermid has said, Gillian Slovo really has “written a cracker.”
4 a.m. and Cathy Mason is watching dawn break over the Lovelace estate. By the end of the day, her community will be a crime scene. By the end of the week, her city will be on fire.
In this gripping thriller, a death at police hands has repercussions far beyond one family plunged into grief . . . As violence erupts in the middle of a stifling heatwave, the dead man becomes a useful tactic (or an urgent threat) in political games at the highest level. So while lives are at risk in Cathy Mason’s estate, across London in Westminster, careers are being made, or ruined.
From a Home Secretary’s attempts to unseat a Prime Minister, to a new Met Police Commissioner fighting for his job, to families torn apart: in Ten Days, Gillian Slovo shows what happens when politics, policing and the hard realities of living in London explosively collide.
Bert Wright, Editor – The Nudge List
Gillian Slovo (c) Jonny Ring
Ten Days by Gillian Slovo is published by Canongate as a £14.99 HBK on 3rd March.
We have 3 copies of the book to give away!
For your chance to win, simply fill in the form below:
The Competition is closed.
Competition Terms & Conditions
Please read these competition rules carefully. By entering a Nudge competition you are confirming that you have read these rules and that you agree to them.
- To enter a competition you must be: (a) resident in the UK or the Republic or Ireland; and (b) 18 years old or over at the time of entry.
- Competitions are not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of AMS Digital Publishing Limited.
- No purchase necessary.
- Only one entry per person.
- If you want to enter a competition you must enter via the website on the applicable competition page.
- The winner will be the entrant who answers the most questions correctly and whose tie-break answer is selected to be the best of the entries by the judges.
- The closing date for this competition is March 31, 2016, and Nudge reserves the right to amend the competition end date at any time.
- If you win a competition, we will notify you by e-mail. The judges’ decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- You can find out who has won a particular competition by sending a stamped addressed envelope, marked with the name of the competition to AMS Digital Publishing, Studio 20, Glove Factory Studios, Brook Lane, Holt, Wilts, BA14 6RL, UK after the closing date.
- By entering the competition the winner agrees to participate in such promotional activity and material as Nudge may require.
- The panel of judges for each competition (if applicable) will be comprised of members of the Nudge editorial team.
- The prize will not be transferable to another person.
- No part of a prize is exchangeable for cash or any other prize.
- If an advertised prize is not available, we reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- Incorrectly completed entries will be disqualified.
- This competition is being run by AMS Digital Publishing Limited, whose registered office address is Studio 20, Glove Factory Studios, Brook Lane, Holt, Wilts, BA14 6RL, UK.
- Nudge reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.
- Nudge will endeavour to send prizes within a month of the competition end date but cannot guarantee this delivery time.
One Honest Man by Mike Stafford: But a day will come in this dawning age . . .
nudge List Feb 2016: Neil Jordan’s Mittel-European Noir: The Drowned Detective by Neil Jordan
You may also like
- 26 FebBookNoir
There are few writers better-equipped to tell this difficult story than Gillian Slovo. A lifetime ......
- 10 JunBookChap
Resorting to Murder is a wonderful choice for summer escapism, as well as the perfect book for the discerning armchair t...
- 14 AprBookChap
You might think, given we’re such a bookish crew, that being asked to supply 250 ......