Competition published on February 10, 2017.
It had its own little backstreets, its alleyways of hanging bulbs and ghost trains and Punch and Judy stands … And at the end of one he saw the Hall of Mirrors. There were looping strings of carnival lights leading towards it, and a large sign in mirrored glass reading ‘Burleigh’s Amazing Hall of Mirrors’ and the sign reflected the lights in all sorts of magically distorted ways.
To Andy and his parents, it looks like any other carnival. But of course it isn’t.
Drawn to the hall of mirrors, Andy enters and is hypnotized by the many selves staring back at him. Sometime later, one of those selves walks out and rejoins his parents – leaving Andy trapped inside the glass; to be released and transported to a paradoxical paradise where gravity is meaningless and time performs acrobatic tricks.
And now an identical stranger inhabits Andy’s life, unsettling his mother with a curious blankness, as mysterious events start unfolding in their Irish coastal town…
Exploring identity, adolescence and the loss of innocence, Carnivalesque is a dark, modern fairy-tale reminiscent of the work of Jordan’s former mentor, Angela Carter.
We have a copy of the magical new novel from Oscar-winning film director and novelist Neil Jordan to give away – for your chance to win simply fill in the form below:
The Competition is closed.
“His cinematic sensibility yields prose of the most bewitching kind.” – The Sunday Times
“One of Ireland’s most talented artists.” – John Banville
About the author
Neil Jordan was born in 1950 in Sligo. His first book of stories, Night in Tunisia, won the Guardian Fiction Prize in 1979, and his subsequent critically acclaimed novels include The Past, Sunrise with Sea Monster, Mistaken, Shade and, most recently, The Drowned Detective. The films he has written and directed have won multiple awards, including an Academy Award (The Crying Game), a Golden Bear at Venice (Michael Collins), a Silver Bear at Berlin (The Butcher Boy) and several BAFTAS (Mona Lisa and The End of the Affair). His screen credits include The Company of Wolves (screenplay co-written with Angela Carter) and the TV series The Borgias. He lives in Dublin.
Carnivalesque by Neil Jordan, published on 23 February, 2017 by Bloomsbury Circus in hardback
Competition Terms & Conditions
Please read these competition rules carefully. By entering a Nudge competition you are confirming that you have read these rules and that you agree to them.
- To enter a competition you must be: (a) resident in the UK or the Republic or Ireland; and (b) 18 years old or over at the time of entry.
- Competitions are not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of AMS Digital Publishing Limited.
- No purchase necessary.
- Only one entry per person.
- If you want to enter a competition you must enter via the website on the applicable competition page.
- The winner will be the entrant who answers the most questions correctly and whose tie-break answer is selected to be the best of the entries by the judges.
- The closing date for this competition is March 10, 2017, and Nudge reserves the right to amend the competition end date at any time.
- If you win a competition, we will notify you by e-mail. The judges’ decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- You can find out who has won a particular competition by sending a stamped addressed envelope, marked with the name of the competition to AMS Digital Publishing, Studio 20, Glove Factory Studios, Brook Lane, Holt, Wilts, BA14 6RL, UK after the closing date.
- By entering the competition the winner agrees to participate in such promotional activity and material as Nudge may require.
- The panel of judges for each competition (if applicable) will be comprised of members of the Nudge editorial team.
- The prize will not be transferable to another person.
- No part of a prize is exchangeable for cash or any other prize.
- If an advertised prize is not available, we reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- Incorrectly completed entries will be disqualified.
- This competition is being run by AMS Digital Publishing Limited, whose registered office address is Studio 20, Glove Factory Studios, Brook Lane, Holt, Wilts, BA14 6RL, UK.
- Nudge reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.
- Nudge will endeavour to send prizes within a month of the competition end date but cannot guarantee this delivery time.
We Come Apart by Sarah Crossan and Brian Conaghan
The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
You may also like
- 01 SepBookGeek
Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials – in cinemas on 10th September 2015. In the sequel ......