Competition published on June 2, 2017.
‘This book is an attempt to fondly weigh up what makes a book so much more than paper and ink, how reading is so much more than a hobby, a way of passing time or a learning process. It is a celebration of the trivia that so many of us revel in, even if we don’t quite realise it; an observational gallivant among impromptu bookmarks, the scent of bookshops and reading in bed…’
So opens Daniel Gray’s Scribbles in the Margins – an unashamed love letter to books and bookshops, comprising fifty short essays of prose poetry dedicated to the simple joy to be found in reading and the rituals around it.
These are not wallowing nostalgia; they are things that remain pleasurable and right, that warm our hearts and connect us to books, to reading and to other readers including everything from the smell of books, old or new; watching a child learn to read; giving a book as a present; visiting someone’s home and inspecting the bookshelves; to the stains and other reminders of where and when you read a book.
These declarations of love demonstrate what books and reading mean to us as individuals, and the cherished part they play in our lives. Warm, heartfelt and witty, Scribbles in the Margins offers a glorious antidote to the relentless modern-day information churn and will appeal to anyone who regularly loses an afternoon tidying their bookshelves.
Scribbles in the Margins is the second book in Gray’s series of Delights following Saturday, 3pm (2016).
We have 3 copies of Scribbles in the Margins by Daniel Gray to give away – for your chance to win simply fill in the form below:
The Competition is closed.
About the author
Scribbles in the Margins is Daniel Gray’s sixth book. His first book, Homage to Caledonia was turned into a television miniseries when Gray was just 27, and he continues to present history on Scottish TV. Daniel has made numerous TV and radio appearances over the last decade, and his recent work has included screenwriting for the BBC. He lives in Edinburgh.
Scribbles in the Margins by Daniel Gray, published on 18 May, 2017 by Bloomsbury, in hardback
Competition Terms & Conditions
Please read these competition rules carefully. By entering a Nudge competition you are confirming that you have read these rules and that you agree to them.
- To enter a competition you must be: (a) resident in the UK or the Republic or Ireland; and (b) 18 years old or over at the time of entry.
- Competitions are not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of AMS Digital Publishing Limited.
- No purchase necessary.
- Only one entry per person.
- If you want to enter a competition you must enter via the website on the applicable competition page.
- The winner will be the entrant who answers the most questions correctly and whose tie-break answer is selected to be the best of the entries by the judges.
- The closing date for this competition is July 7, 2017, and Nudge reserves the right to amend the competition end date at any time.
- If you win a competition, we will notify you by e-mail. The judges’ decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- You can find out who has won a particular competition by sending a stamped addressed envelope, marked with the name of the competition to AMS Digital Publishing, Studio 20, Glove Factory Studios, Brook Lane, Holt, Wilts, BA14 6RL, UK after the closing date.
- By entering the competition the winner agrees to participate in such promotional activity and material as Nudge may require.
- The panel of judges for each competition (if applicable) will be comprised of members of the Nudge editorial team.
- The prize will not be transferable to another person.
- No part of a prize is exchangeable for cash or any other prize.
- If an advertised prize is not available, we reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- Incorrectly completed entries will be disqualified.
- This competition is being run by AMS Digital Publishing Limited, whose registered office address is Studio 20, Glove Factory Studios, Brook Lane, Holt, Wilts, BA14 6RL, UK.
- Nudge reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.
- Nudge will endeavour to send prizes within a month of the competition end date but cannot guarantee this delivery time.
You may also like
- 30 OctBookHugger
New York Times best-selling author Nicholas Sparks published his first novel, The Notebook, in 1996. ......