Article published on November 17, 2017.
Congratulations David France on winning the 2017 Baillie Gifford Prize with How to Survive a Plague!
“How to Survive a Plague by David France is the riveting, powerful and profoundly moving story of the AIDS epidemic and the grass-roots movement of activists, many of them facing their own life-or-death struggles, who grabbed the reins of scientific research to help develop the drugs that turned HIV from a mostly fatal infection to a manageable disease. Around the globe, the 15.8 million people taking anti-AIDS drugs today are alive thanks to their efforts.
Not since the publication of Randy Shilts’s now classic And the Band Played On in 1987 has a book sought to measure the AIDS plague in such brutally human, intimate, and soaring terms.
Weaving together the stories of dozens of individuals, this is an insider’s account of a pivotal moment in our history and one that changed the way that medical science is practised worldwide.”
The 2017 shortlist for the Baillie Gifford Prize:
- The Islamic Enlightenment: The Modern Struggle Between Faith and Reason by Christopher de Bellaigue (The Bodley Head)
- How to Survive a Plague by David France (Picador)
- Border: A Journey to the Edge of Europe by Kapka Kassabova (Granta Books)
- An Odyssey: A Father, a Son and an Epic by Daniel Mendelsohn (William Collins)
- To Be a Machine: Adventures Among Cyborgs, Utopians, Hackers, and the Futurists Solving the Modest Problem of Death by Mark O’Connell (Granta Books)
- Belonging: The Story of the Jews by Simon Schama (The Bodley Head)
Click on the titles above to read Paul Cheney’s reviews of the shortlisted titles.
Baillie Gifford Shortlist 2017: Border: A Journey to the Edge of Europe by Kapka Kassabova
The Second Body by Daisy Hildyard
You may also like
- 17 OctBookLife
The third entry in our BBC Archives series features memorable interviews with two equally opinionated management figureh...
- 17 DecBookChap
These are the opening lines from which books? Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the ......
- 21 AprBookLife
The Northwest Passage is the route across the roof of the world at the very ...