Competition published on March 7, 2018.
From the best selling author of The Professor and the Madman The Map That Changed the World and Krakatoa comes a truly wonderful celebration of the English language and of its unrivaled treasure house the Oxford English Dictionary. Writing with marvelous brio, Winchester first serves up a lightning history of the English language so vast so sprawling so wonderfully unwieldy and pays homage to the great dictionary makers from the irredeemably famous Samuel Johnson to the short pale smug and boastful schoolmaster from New Hartford Noah Webster.
He then turns his unmatched talent for story telling to the making of this most venerable of dictionaries In this fast paced narrative the reader will discover lively portraits of such key figures as the brilliant but tubercular first editor Herbert Coleridge, grandson of the poet the colorful boisterous Frederick Furnivall, who left the project in a shambles and James Augustus Henry Murray who spent a half century bringing the project to fruition. Winchester lovingly describes the nuts and bolts of dictionary making how unexpectedly tricky the dictionary entry for marzipan was or how fraternity turned out so much longer and monkey so much more ancient than anticipated and how bondmaid was left out completely its slips found lurking under a pile of books long after the B volume had gone to press.
We visit the ugly corrugated iron structure that Murray grandly dubbed the Scriptorium the Scrippy or the Shed as locals called it and meet some of the legion of volunteers from Fitzedward Hall, a bitter hermit obsessively devoted to the OED to W C Minor whose story is one of dangerous madness ineluctable sadness and ultimate redemption.
The Meaning of Everything is a scintillating account of the creation of the greatest monument ever erected to a living language Simon Winchester s supple vigorous prose illuminates this dauntingly ambitious project a seventy year odyssey to create the grandfather of all books.
- Publisher: OUP Oxford; New Ed edition (1st April 2018)
- Language: English
- ISBN-13: 978-0192805768
Enter our competition here:
Competition Terms & Conditions
Please read these competition rules carefully. By entering a Nudge competition you are confirming that you have read these rules and that you agree to them.
- To enter a competition you must be: (a) resident in the UK or the Republic or Ireland; and (b) 18 years old or over at the time of entry.
- Competitions are not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of AMS Digital Publishing Limited.
- No purchase necessary.
- Only one entry per person.
- If you want to enter a competition you must enter via the website on the applicable competition page.
- The winner will be the entrant who answers the most questions correctly and whose tie-break answer is selected to be the best of the entries by the judges.
- The closing date for this competition is April 30, 2018, and Nudge reserves the right to amend the competition end date at any time.
- If you win a competition, we will notify you by e-mail. The judges’ decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- You can find out who has won a particular competition by sending a stamped addressed envelope, marked with the name of the competition to AMS Digital Publishing, Studio 20, Glove Factory Studios, Brook Lane, Holt, Wilts, BA14 6RL, UK after the closing date.
- By entering the competition the winner agrees to participate in such promotional activity and material as Nudge may require.
- The panel of judges for each competition (if applicable) will be comprised of members of the Nudge editorial team.
- The prize will not be transferable to another person.
- No part of a prize is exchangeable for cash or any other prize.
- If an advertised prize is not available, we reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- Incorrectly completed entries will be disqualified.
- This competition is being run by AMS Digital Publishing Limited, whose registered office address is Studio 20, Glove Factory Studios, Brook Lane, Holt, Wilts, BA14 6RL, UK.
- Nudge reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.
- Nudge will endeavour to send prizes within a month of the competition end date but cannot guarantee this delivery time.
Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House by Michael Wolff
Reckless by Chrissie Hynde
You may also like
- 15 SepBookChap
In short, the ‘English’ armies were small, professional and looked to strategy, tactics and logistics to win. But, h...